On our last post, we discussed “How To Blog As a Beginner”, so today, we will be looking at “How To Create a WordPress Blog”. I know very well that starting a blog can be a terrifying thought specially when you are not geeky. Don’t be terrify because you are not alone. Having helped few bloggers to create a blog, we have decided to create the most comprehensive and unique guide on “How To Create a WordPress Blog” without any technical knowledge. I’m using WordPress because it’s one of the easiest and simple to understand. The process is easy to understand and to follow whether you are young or old. However if you need help, we are here for you, we can help you setup your blog.
By now you should ask me what do you need to create a WordPress blog? There are four things you need to create a WordPress blog:
1. A domain name.
2. A Web Hosting.
3. A Theme.
4. Your undivided attention for just 30 minutes.
Yes, you read it right. Don’t be surprise that I said 30 minutes, you can start a blog from the scratch in less than 30 minutes.
I believe you know the meaning and how to go about the first three things, if you don’t know, I will advise you to read “What You Should Know Before Blogging”. But not withstanding, we will still do justice to them a little bit but I recommend you to read it for more understanding.
Let’s deal with this with just three steps?
Step One:- Setting Up Your WordPress Blog.
The biggest mistake beginners make when building a blog is choosing the wrong blogging platform. Thankfully you’re here, so you won’t be making that mistake. For 90% to 95% of users, it makes more sense to use WordPress because it is free to use, you can install plugins, customize your blog, and most importantly make money from your site without any restrictions. Now you have probably heard that WordPress is free. I know you might be wondering why is it free? What’s the catch? Friend there’s no catch. Its free because you have to do the setup and host it yourself.
Like I said before in one of our article, a domain name is what people type to get to your blog. It’s your blog’s address on the internet.
While web hosting is where your website live. Its your blog’s house on the internet. Every blog or website needs web hosting.
A domain name typically costs $8.88US to $14.99US per year while web is hosting is below $18.00US (shared hosting) in hosting providers like NameCheap. That’s good for beginners. Bluehost is also good, in fact, it’s regards as the best by many bloggers and website owners. Let’s use Bluehost as a case study.
Now let’s purchase your domain name and hosting plan.
1. Open up Bluehost in a new window.
2. Click on the green “Get Started Now” button to get started.
3. On the next screen that will display, select the plan that you want or need.
4. After selecting your desired plan, you will be asked to enter your domain name for your blog. Enter your domain name and search, if it available, you will need to add your Debit card information i.e your ATM card details and finalize the package information to complete the process.
5. On the screen, you will see other extra things that you can purchase, it’s up to you whether or not you purchase these, but we generally don’t recommend purchasing them right away. You can always add them later on, if you decide that you need them.
6. Once completed, you will receive an email with details on how to login to your web hosting “Control Panel (cPanel)”, where you manage everything from support, emails, and other things. But most importantly, this is where you install WordPress.
Step Two:- Installing WordPress.
In this cPanel, you will see lots of different icons for different services and features, just ignore 95% of them because you will never need to use them. To Install your WordPress blog,
1. Scroll down to the blog or website section and click on the WordPress icon.
2. This will redirect you to the Bluehost Marketplace Quick Install screen for WordPress. Click on the “Get Started Button”.
3. On the next screen, you will be asked to select your domain name. Choose the domain from the drop-down and then click Next.
4. After that, you need to enter your blog or site name, username, and a password for your blog or site. You also need to check all the checkboxes and then click Install.
At this junction, the QuickInstall will start installing WordPress and the marketplace will prompt you to browse WordPress themes, while WordPress is being installed, no need to do this right now. I will show you how to get free WordPress themes in the next step.
5. Once WordPress is finished installing, you will see the success notice in the top header bar. Click on the Installation Complete Link, and it will take you to the screen with your WordPress login URL and password.
Here I will like to say congratulations, you have created your WordPress blog. I believe that wasn’t too bad or hard right?
Your WordPress login URL will look like this, for example: https://simpletechblog.com/wp-admin
Note; your website may not contain the “s” on the first five alphabet on the example address I gave i.e “https”. Instead, it will look this way http://simpletechblog.com/wp-admin. The “s” on it signifies that the website has an “SSL Certificate”.
On the screen, enter your username and password and click on the WordPress login link to login to your dashboard. Guess what? You’re ready to customize your blog’s appearance and start blogging.
The visual appearance of your WordPress blog is controlled by themes. When you first visit your blog, it won’t looks good at all and it won’t be very appealing to most people. Customizing the look and feel of your blog is by far one of the most exciting and rewarding part in the journey of creating your WordPress blog. There are a lots of pre-made WordPress themes that you can install on your blog. Some of them are free, while others are paid.
1. To upload a theme in your blog, go to your WordPress Dashboard and click on Appearance > Themes > Add New.
2. On the next screen, you will able to search for any theme you know of for free. You can be able to sort by popular, latest, featured, industry, layout, etc.
3. Take your mouse over to a theme and you will see a Preview Button. Clicking on it will open the theme preview where you can see how it would look on your blog.
4. When you have found the theme that you like, simply bring your mouse on it, and it will show the Install Button. Click on it and wait for the theme to be installed. After that, the install button will be replaced with an Activate Button, click on it to Activate the theme.
5. Once you have installed your theme, you can customize it if you wish by clicking on the Customize Link under the Appearance Menu.
After you have selected your WordPress theme, you are now ready to create your first blog post.
That’s all I have for you today, make sure you check back soon in our up coming article, where we will be discussing “How To Create Blog Posts and Add Pages To Your Blog”. Subscribe to our mailing list to get it faster in you mail box.
Feel free to ask us any question(s) or tell us how you feel about this article or give suggestion to help us update this article with the comments box below. I just need one favor from you, please kindly share this article as much as you can. See you on our next article and do have a great day.